What are the symptoms?
- Pressure in chest
- Worse with eating or fasting
What is Gastroesophageal reflux disease? (GE.R.D.)
- Stomach acid is needed for digestion
- Stomach acid should ideally stay in the stomach
- When the lower esophageal sphincter relaxes, acid creeps up into the esophagus
- The problem is NOT too much acid
- The problem is acid in the wrong place
Anything that relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter makes GERD worse
When you go to the doctor they will put you on H2 blocker or PPI
- Which blocks acid production
- BUT the problem is NOT too much acid
- Its acid in the wrong place
When you block acid with H2 and PPI
- You can’t digest your food well and then you get worsening digestive issues
- Acid is needed to keep the correct acid / base balance
- Decrease your acid and you can get bad bacterial overgrowth.
- Increase in bad bacteria can cause worsening sxs
Other dangers of these medications
PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors)
long–term use of PPIs: risk of fractures, low magnesium leading to muscle cramping, , Clostridium difficile–associated diarrhea, vitamin B12 , kidney issues (acute interstitial nephritis (AIN), and Lupus, and stroke
No big deal right?
How do we treat/fix this?
- Don’t just put a bandaid on the problem with antacids
- Reduce bacterial overgrowth
- Digestive enzymes
- Lower carbohydrates
- FODMAP diet
- FODMAPs are certain types of carbohydrates that are
- poorly absorbed by some people
- Avoid artificial sweeteners
- Lower fiber.
- Avoid things that relax the lower esophageal sphincter
Safe natural remedies things that help (I have found)
- Apple Cider Vinegar / Pickle Juice
- Works like digestive enzymes
- Licorice (this works soo well)
- Tea, DGL supplements