Time Restricted Feeding – Looking back at the past year
What is TRF or If?
Why is it one of the most important lifestyle interventions for health?
Different kinds of TRE/Intermittent Fasting
- 16:8 (leangains) Martin Berkhan
- 20:4 (warrior)
- 5:2 (calorie restriction for 2 days)
- Fasting Mimicking Diet – Valter Longo
- Dementia protection / baseline health: 14-16 hours a day
Probably important to stop eating 3 hours before bed
- Circadian rhythm – Sachin Panda
Why it’s different then calorie restriction
- Does not decrease metabolic rate
- When insulin is low, your body “sees” its own fat
- When you eat all day but calorie restrict / your body is blind to its own fat
- It only sees what you eat which is calorie restricted
What “breaks a fast”?
- Dry fast (not recommended)
- Depends on your goals
- If going for autophagy – stick with water
- If going for weight loss
- Nothing that is going to stimulate a metabolic response
What do we do?
Emmy: I try to change it up more
Pete: I also try to change it up but I’ve become so accustomed to not eating breakfast that it is rare that I do these days…
How have our thoughts changed?
Helpful Hints when starting out
- When starting out take salt and magnesium
- Have a buddy or person to reach out to for support
- Read and learn about it!
- Drink lots of water
- Insulin causes reabsorption of salt and water from kidneys
- When insulin is low, you lose water weight so you need to drink…Especially if exercising.