What is Emotional Eating?
- Eating when you are not hungry, often with underlying emotion as a cause
- Not always a bad thing
- I would say most do this on a daily basis
- Most people eat at times the
- Common Emotions: stress, BOREDOM, sadness, happiness etc.
Boredom Worth talking about
- We live in a society where we need to be occupied at all times (social media)
- And we even need to be occupied WHILE engaging in social media
- We are not present with our kids, our friends, ourselves
- We are constantly doing something else (I would say social media and food)
- In fact, we usually do something WHILE eating
- When was the last time you sat down at the table by yourself with no one else, no phone, no computer and ate a meal slowly. (I don’t remember the last time I did this
What Do we Eat?
- Not broccoli
Why We Do It
- To distract (stress / sadness)
- More of a dopamine hit when stressed (“book “Deep Nutrition”)
- To augment pleasure of a situation (christmas/thanksgiving)
When do we emotionally eat (if we do)
Emmy? ALL THE DAMN TIME. My two most common emotions are boredom and stress. Stress when kids are whining / crying. Stress after shift (even driving home in car). Boredom during watching a movie or evening, If Pete is out and after kids go to be. Overnight shifts.